Another Microsoft Unicode I/O Problem

I encountered an annoying bug in Visual C++ 2017 recently. It started when I found my favourite logging library, Easylogging++, output Chinese as garbage characters on Windows. Checking the documentation carefully, I noted that I should have used the macro START_EASYLOGGINGPP. It turned out to be worse: all output starting from the Chinese character was gone. Puzzled but busy, I put it down and worked on something else.

I spend another hour of detective work on this issue today. The result was quite surprising.

  • First, it is not an issue with Easylogging++. The problem can occur if I purely use std::wcout.
  • Second, the magical thing about START_EASYLOGGINGPP is that it will invoke std::locale::global(std::locale("")). This is the switch that leads to the different behaviour.
  • Myteriously, with the correct locale setting, I can get the correct result with both std::wcout and Easylogging++ in a test program. I was not able to get it working in my real project.
  • Finally, it turns out that the difference above is caused by /MT vs. /MD! The former (default if neither is specified on the command line) tells the Visual C++ compiler to use the static multi-threading library, and the latter (set by default in Visual Studio projects) tells the compiler to use the dynamic multi-threading library.

People may remember that I wrote about MSVCRT.DLL Console I/O Bug. While Visual C++ 2013 shows consistent behaviour between /MT and /MD, Visual C++ 2015 and 2017 exhibit the same woeful bug when /MD is specified on the command line. This is something perplexingly weird: it seems someone at Microsoft messed up with the MSVCRT.DLL shipped with Windows first (around 2006), and then the problem spread to the Visual C++ runtime DLL after nearly a decade!

I am using many modern C++ features, so I definitely do not want to go back to Visual C++ 2013 for new projects. It seems I have to tolerate garbage characters in the log for now. Meanwhile, I submitted a bug to Microsoft. Given that I have a bug report that is deferred for four years, I am not very hopeful. But let us wait and see.

Update (20 December 2017)

A few more tests show that the debug versions (/MTd and /MDd) both work well. So only the default release build (using the dynamic C runtime) exhibits this problem, where the executable depends on DLLs like api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0.dll. It seems this issue is related to the Universal C Runtime introduced in Visual Studio 2015 and Windows 10. . . .

Update (25 March 2018)

The bug was closed, and a Microsoft developer indicated that the issue had already been fixed since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK (build 10.0.14393). Actually I had had build 10.0.15063 installed. The reason why I still saw the problem was that the Universal C Runtime on Windows 7 had not been updated (‘the issue will be fixed in a future update to the Universal C Runtime on Windows 7’), and I should not have seen the problem on a Windows 10 box. The current workaround is either use static linking (as I did), or copy the redistributable DLLs under C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs\x86 (or x64 etc.) to the app directory (so called ‘app-local deployment’; which should not be used on Windows 10, as the system version is always preferred). My test showed that copying ucrtbase.dll was enough to fix my test case.

Advertisements

One thought on “Another Microsoft Unicode I/O Problem

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s